Monday 14 February 2011

Latus takes the Hayne train.

Again, dated, but what else is there to do at 5am.

LATUS ON TRACK AFTER 'HAYNE TRAIN' EXPERIENCE
By Wayne Gardiner, Press Association Sport
While Australia superstar Jarryd Hayne spent the weekend hogging the headlines Down Under following another supersonic display for Parramatta, back in Hull, rookie winger Sam Latus took further steps on his path to trying to establish himself as a first-team Super League player.
On the face of it, there is nothing to link the man they call 'The Hayne Train' and 20-year-old Latus, a former rugby union scholar now cutting his teeth with Hull KR.
But actually, there is.
In a bid to speed up his transition from the 15-man code to the 13-man one, Latus, and his older brother Jack, also on Rovers' books, spent a winter training with Hayne and his Parramatta team-mates.
The move was initiated by Rovers' analyst Andrew Webster, previously on the Eels' books himself, and it allowed Latus to learn the game off the likes of Hayne, FuiFui MoiMoi and Nathan Cayless.
His switch to the sport has been successful too, having played the past five games for Rovers since breaking into the first-team in a 16-16 draw at Huddersfield.
He scored his first senior try in Saturday's 49-24 win over Bradford and is more than happy that his hard work - including going to Sydney off his own back - is starting to pay off.
``Going over to Parramatta really helped me learn the game,'' he told Press Association Sport.
``It wasn't an easy switch from union but I've been going at it a few years now with the coaches. I've gradually learn the game and I'm really enjoying it.
``Going somewhere like that, with all their heritage, was a really good experience for both me and Jack and we have done out best to bring it back over here with us.
``While we were out there we got to train with Jarryd Hayne who had just come back from the World Cup where he had been playing with Fiji.
``He's been doing really well since then, he's someone I admire a lot and he's playing fantastically well at the moment.''
Latus' selection for the Bradford game was something of a surprise for many, after he endured a torrid time in the Hull derby the week before.
With Hull targeting his inexperience, he came up with a number of costly errors as the Robins lost 20-16.
But coach Justin Morgan retained his faith in Latus, who repaid him with a stellar show against the Bulls.
``A few things didn't go my way in the derby game but Justin, the coaching staff and all the players have been really good with me and kept my confidence up,'' he added.
``Justin showing the faith he did in me helped.
``I tried to be solid against Bradford and eradicate the errors from my game and to get my try was great.
``I've really enjoyed being in the first team. The players have made it a lot easier for me to fit in. They've been playing really well and and me being on the back of that has made it easier for me. It's been going great.
``I just want to keep going until the end of the season and if there's a space it will hopefully come my way.''

No comments:

Post a Comment